Following the death of Sir John A. Macdonald on June 6, 1891, the Hamilton Board of Trade proposed to erect a permanent memorial to commemorate the former Prime Minister. The Board believed the statue would be a credit to the City of Hamilton, and would also attract thousands of tourists. The city agreed and proceeded to establish the Macdonald Committee. This newly formed committee was responsible for generating money to fund the project. Senator Sanford believed the committee would have no difficulties raising four to five thousand dollars for the cause. Tenders were given and sculptors submitted models of Sir John A. Macdonald. George E. Wade of London, England was the sculptor chosen for the project. His model portrayed Macdonald in a buttoned up Prince Albert coat with his right hand extended.
The Sir John A. Macdonald statue remains a significant part of Hamilton history and culture and is appreciated by the citizens and city council of Hamilton. To promote interest in the statue, the Sir John A. Macdonald Society holds a celebration of Sir John A. Macdonald each year on his birthday, by placing a wreath of flowers at his statue to commemorate his accomplishments.
Earn 10 points!