Built in 1858, Mackenzie House is a late-Georgian Greek revival row house that was the final home of Toronto's first mayor, William Lyon Mackenzie. The house was purchased for Mackenzie by his supporters, and presented to him in 1859, at which point he had retired from public life. It is a rare example of architecture not often seen in Toronto’s urban setting.
In 1949 Mackenzie was recognized as a National Historic Person of Canada, because of his political career (Mayor of Toronto, member of the legislature, and leader of the 1837 Upper Canadian Rebellion), as well as his impact on radical Canadian journalism.
This house was given to Mackenzie by friends and supporters, when he retired from public life, and in recognition of his many years of serving the community.
Earn 10 points!