Alderlea, meaning meadow of Alder trees, was constructed circa 1867 for Kenneth Chisholm, businessman, political figure and son-in-law of John Elliott, a founding father of Brampton.
A Timeline of Alderlea
1867 - 1870: Alderlea (meaning meadow of Alder trees) is built for Kenneth Chisholm
1902: Large portion of Alderlea estate severed
1903: Sir William Gage donates part of the former estate for a public park
1903: Gage Park becomes the first municipal park in Brampton
1916: Alderlea purchased by the Salvation Army, under Commissioner T. B. Coombs
1944: Alderlea sold to the Royal Canadian Legion
1947: Legion builds a two-story addition called “Memorial Hall”
2001: Alderlea is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act by the City of Brampton
2002: City of Brampton purchases Alderlea from the Legion
2010: City of Brampton begins rehabilitation of Alderlea
2015: Alderlea opens as a special event centre
Earn 10 points!